Saturday, June 11, 2011

New Direction

Hi there beer lovers.

As you know, it has been a long time since my last post on this blog (it took a while to remember the password). However, I have new plans for Silver Lining Brewery, so I thought now would be as good of a time as any to catch up with my readers.

A couple of months ago, I brewed an Oatmeal Cookie Stout, using cocoa powder, cinnamon, and raisins to flavor my beer. The result? A decent beer. Not bad, but not as great as my intentions always are. I realized this has happened all too often with my brews. I get these great ideas for really interesting flavor combinations, but they always fail to impress me like I hoped.

Thats when I decided to embark on a new mantra for Silver Lining Brewery. Instead of making adequate complex beers, I am going to focus on taking fairly common styles (with the exception on one - the perfect Pumpkin Ale is my white whale) and work towards perfection. I also decided to up the frequency of brewing.

My new goal is to brew a unique style of beer every month, repeating annually. In other words, every January, February, March, etc., I will brew the same beer, tweaking my recipe ever so slightly until I get exactly the beer that I hope for. This will take a lot more repetition, precision, and note-taking than I have been doing in the past. But, hopefully, result in a better end-product.

Ok, so what beers will I brew? Well, here is a list of what beers I want to dedicate each month, keeping in mind this is the month I want them to be served in, not when I brew them.

January - Porter
February - E.S.B.
March - Irish Red
April - I.P.A.
May - Scottish Ale
June - Witbier
July - Pale Ale
August - American Wheat
September - Brown Ale
October - Pumpkin Ale
November - Stout
December - Amber Ale

So, there you have it. I can't promise I won't occasionally slide a crazy, experimental beer in between batches. But, for the most part, this will be my beer list for the year.

I am also working on setting up a kegging system, so I will try and keep you updated on that as well.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

this is cool- I don't think you've mentioned this to me. Are you still planning on doing this?