Friday, March 13, 2009

100 Down, 100 to go

Well, I finally had my 100th beer at Flying Saucer this week.  For those of you who don't know, Flying Saucer has something called the UFO Club.  Basically, you have to drink 200 beers and you get a party for you and your friends plus your name forever immortalized on a saucer (along with a quote).  Anyway, I'm halfway there which got me a free "Biggie Beer."  I got a Lone Rider Shotgun Betty, which I was very happy with.  Another local brewery from Raleigh, this hefeweizen is the first beer from Lone Rider and is now offered all over the Triangle.  Although sweet, it was still very easy to drink, even drinking 22 oz!  It's good to have another great brewery in this area.  I can't wait to see what else they have to offer.  

Since I got my first beer for free, I decided to splurge a bit and go for a bottle I have been meaning to try for some time now.  Stone Smoked Porter was the next beer on my list.  This dark, gothic beer was one of the best I have ever had.  Again, one of the darker porters I have tried, but very complex and full of many flavors.  The first flavor that stood out was the smoke.  It was almost as if I was sucking on hickory chips, which is understandable why Stone says it would go great with BBQ.  The malts were also wonderful.  It gave the perfect balance of chocolate and coffee aromas.  I also really liked Stone's mantra on the back of the bottle.  Not verbatim,  but they pretty much say, they don't make this so everyone will like it, but they make it so some people will absolutely love it.  Guess I am in that second group.  

No comments: